Ex-Sulphur Springs chief charged with sex assault | News
MCKINNEY, Texas (AP) - A former North Texas police chief is accused of having sexual relations with a girl between 2001 and 2004.
A Collin County grand jury has indicted 61-year-old ex-Sulphur Springs Chief of Police Donald "Donnie" Gene Lewis of Dallas.
Lewis was jailed Friday with bond set at $250,000. Electronic jail records did not list an attorney for Lewis, who was arrested Thursday on three counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child, eight counts of indecency with a child/sexual contact and fivecounts of sexual assault of a child. If convicted, Lewis faces up to life in prison.
Plano police have declined to release details of the active case. Lewis was indicted last week.
Lewis served as a Sulphur Springs officer for more than 25 years. He retired in mid-2001.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- TxDOT crews haul hundreds of tons of salt from ETX to help thaw DFW
- After months of controversy, Edgewood City Council takes action
- At least one person dead after motorcycle crash in Van Zandt County
- Video: Does aging equal giving up style, creativity?
- What's going on in East Texas this weekend? Nov. 8-10
- City of Lindale to Host Two Christmas Events in December for Community Participation
- Fire destroys family home, but family Bible survives the flames
- Heirloom family Bible safely retrieved from burned Smith Co. home
- Top 10 reasons I'm thankful to be part of a farming family
- East Texas restaurants serving on Thanksgiving Day